Thursday, March 8, 2012

Potty Training in Japan

So, I've decided that potty training in Japan is pretty hopeless. Why you may ask? I've got a smart, almost three year old little girl (who is supposedly should easier to train than her older brother) and yet she STILL isn't potty trained? Please...let me explain.

With Ben, he had anxiety about going potty in a big comode. I get it. Tall potties. Stinky stalls. Sometimes no TP. I get anxious every now and again too!

 Ok, so in Japan, they go so out of their way to make things child friendly that we see the complete other extreme. Instead of being anxious to go potty out in public, Claire is over excited to go potty in public. Why? Because the public bathrooms actually have "kids" sized potties (which, I must say, are pretty stinkin' cute). Because some of the potty lids open automatically when you walk into the stall (so you won't pee on a closed potty. What? Who's ever done that before...). Because the bathrooms are pink, purple, or have cartoon characters directing you to the potty. Because while you're on the potty you'll be sung to in Disney Characters voices. Because if you push the right button on the potty all the work is done for you. (I think when I grow up I want a Japanese style bathroom.) Because if you walk into some bathrooms, you're supposed to use a squatty potty, instead of a sit-down potty. (illustrations below) I don't even do that.


Now...tell me...if you were two years old and trying to learn how to potty in public...would this not be just a little distracting?


Look at all the options!!



Squatty Potty - Yes, females are supposed to use this.

No comments:

Post a Comment